HRM: Regional Council is now in the midst of having public discussions surrounding the upcoming annual operating and capital budgets.
While those deliberations are underway, residents are encouraged to simultaneously highlight their priorities for the upcoming year.
The hands-on budget allocator tool lets citizens share their thoughts on where tax dollars should go. By providing a unique glimpse into the experience of balancing the municipality’s budget, this online tool allows residents to simulate adjusting the tax dollars allocated to various services like transit, parks, fire, and policing – and see the potential impact this has on both service delivery and the overall budget.
A report, including results from the Shape Your City portal will be provided to Regional Council prior to the final deliberation and vote on the budget in March.
Citizens will again this year be given an opportunity to speak directly to Regional Council about specific priorities. Time will be set aside at the end of every business unit budget presentation for the public to provide insight and comments.
The following dates have been set aside for business unit budget presentations in Council Chambers:
Wednesday, Jan. 10, 2018 (9:30 a.m.)
- Chief Administrative Office
- Legal, Municipal Clerk, & External Relations
- Human Resources/Office of Diversity & Inclusion
- Finance & Asset Management
- Office of the Auditor General
Wednesday, Jan. 17, 2018 (9:30 a.m.)
- Parks, Recreation, & Community Services
- Planning & Development
Wednesday, Jan. 24, 2018 (9:30 a.m.)
- Halifax Transit
- Transportation & Public Works
- Corporate & Customer Services
Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018 (9:30 a.m.)
- Halifax Regional Police
- Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency
Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2018 (9:30 a.m.)
- Fiscal & Consolidated Accounts
- Budget Adjustment List (BAL) Review
Tuesday, March 20, 2018 (9:30 a.m.)
- Full review of final budget
For more information on the budget process and ways to have your say, go to https://www.shapeyourcityhalifax.ca/hfxtax2018