HRM: In the month of August, Halifax District RCMP charged 53 drivers with impaired related offences.
Of the 53 drivers, 28 were charged with impaired operation of a motor vehicle by alcohol; two were charged with impaired operation of a motor vehicle by drug; and 23 were issued driving suspensions for operating a motor vehicle while having consumed alcohol.
Of the 30 impaired drivers apprehended, 23 were male, seven were female and ages ranged from 19–95. Of the 23 drivers suspended, 16 were male, seven were female and ages ranged from 19-67.
Throughout the month, police received 27 calls from the public through 911 about suspected impaired drivers. Of all impaired drivers charged, 18 were a direct result of calls from the public.
Possible signs of an impaired driver:
- Weaving from one side of lane to the other
- Taking extremely wide turns
- Inconsistent speeds
- Driving without headlights, failing to lower high beams or leaving turn signals on
- Driving with windows open in cold or inclement weather
- Approaching or leaving intersections too quickly or slowly
Call 911 immediately if you suspect someone is driving impaired:
- State your location and direction of travel for the vehicle.
- Provide a description of the vehicle, including the license plate number, colour, make and model