WAVERELY: Nova Scotia Environment (NSE) is warning residents and tourists alike to not swim, drink water, or eat fish that are caught in Powder Mill Lake in Waverley.

The reason behind the warning is because of probable blue-green algae bloom in the lake.
NSE says—in a release—that while the health risk is fairly low, avoiding contact with the water is a simple precaution to prevent the potential health risks of some blue-green algae.

“Blue-green algae blooms are naturally occurring and can produce toxins,” NSE said.

“People should not drink the water or use it to prepare or cook food, or to brush teeth. Boiling the water will not eliminate potential toxins.”

People who have ingested water containing toxins from blue-green algae may experience stomach ache, diarrhea, vomiting and nausea. Recreational use of the water, bathing and showering is not advised. Direct contact with toxins from the algae can cause skin and eye irritation. If symptoms persist after a few days, consult a health-care provider.

Pets and other animals should not be permitted to drink or swim in the water.
More information is available at www.gov.ns.ca/nse/water/docs/BlueGreenAlgae.pdf and http://novascotia.ca/dhw/environmental/blue-green-algae.asp.

SHARE
Previous articleQuarry application still incomplete
Next articleTwo locals selected in MHL draft
Pat Healey
Pat has grown up in East Hants, having called Milford, and now Enfield home. He graduated from the journalism program at Holland College in 2001, and has spent time at newspapers in NL and Alberton and Summerside, PEI before becoming a reporter/photographer at The Weekly Press/The Laker in October 2008. He has a rescue kitty named Asha that is much loved—and spoiled. Pat is also our "social engagement guru." Check him out on twitter!