WINDSOR JUNCTION: Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency (HRFE) is encouraging residents to assess their kitchen for fire safety.
National Fire Prevention Week runs from Oct. 4-10 and the theme this year is “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen.”
Kitchen fires are a leading cause of home fires and injury in Canada. Unattended cooking is the main cause of fires in the kitchen.
Keep cooking areas clear of clutter, especially those materials which can ignite — such as oven mitts, dish towels, wooden utensils, and food packaging. Always keep an oven mitt and pan lid nearby when you’re cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide the lid over the pan to smother the flame.
Test your smoke alarms regularly so everyone recognizes the sound and knows to get out. This is also a great opportunity to practice your home evacuation plan.
All residents have the responsibility to practice safe cooking habits in the kitchen. These seemingly basic behaviors can have life-saving impact.
HRFE is also running a social media contest through the month of October.
Visit the Halifax Regional Fire & Emergency Facebook page beginning on Sunday for more information.