EAST HANTS/HRM: Since March 24, Nova Scotia RCMP have charged 308 people for violating the Nova Scotia Health Protection and Emergency Management Acts in relation to COVID-19.
In a release, spokeswoman Cpl. Lisa Croteau said that 67 people had been charged under the Emergency Management Act and 241 people were charged under the Health Protection Act.
The majority of tickets issued were to individuals who did not self-isolate or follow social distancing requirements. Other tickets were issued to a business and individuals who did not comply with a provincial closure order.
With recent reports of large gatherings, police are reminding the public that enforcement of provincial regulations will continue. Anyone in attendance of an illegal gathering can now be fined $1,000.
The RCMP thanks Nova Scotians for their continued support and to the vast majority who are adhering to the directives outlined by government to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
“We ask people to continue protecting their communities by reporting crime and suspicious behaviour to police, and by adhering to the directives outlined by government to reduce the spread of COVID-19,” said Cpl. Croteau.