FALL RIVER: Firefighters in Fall River and Wellington were kept busy with four calls all within about an hour of each other.
Station 45 Fall River, along with other mutual aid units from Station 42 Wellington, and Station 43 Grand Lake, were paged at 7:01 p.m. for a possible structure fire at Ash Lee Jefferson School. Tanker 10 Sackville was also paged.
Upon arrival, it was determined that a transformer at the school had blown and all units but Station 45 were stood down. There was a strong smell of smoke.
Halifax District RCMP blocked off entry at the school, and people inside including those for violin lessons, were evacuated and those cancelled for the remainder of the night.
While at the call, a propane leak call came in at 7:17 p.m. and Station 45 Fall River and Station 42 Wellington responded to that at the Fall River Shopping Plaza.
The call came in from the NSLC, but the propane issue was at Pizzadelic.
At 8:20 p.m. Station 42 Wellington was paged for a medical assist, which Rescue 45 Fall River also responded too.
Shortly after returning to station, a call came in at 8:28 p.m. for a blown transformer by Lockview High School was reported and firefighters attended.
Residents in the Lockview Road area told The Laker they heard two loud explosions and saw a flash. Some residents in St. Andrews Village also said their lights flickered, but did not go off.
Nova Scotia Power attended both calls.
Repairs were made and both schools opened and operated as normal this morning, Nov. 27.